The Deckhand is responsible for the safety of the towing vessel.
- The Deckhand is responsible to report all unsafe conditions to the Captain and take actions to prevent accidents.
Regulatory Compliance and Company/Customer Policies and Procedures.
- Have a thorough working knowledge of and be in compliance with all current local, state, and federal regulatory requirements and documentation affecting cargo operations.
- Know and comply with all company and customer policies, procedures, and documentation.
Vessel Operations and Safety – The Deckhand is responsible for and required to:
- Safely and efficiently execute all assignments;
- Provide for the safety and protection of the vessel, cargo, and all persons onboard;
- Maintain proper order and discipline at all times; and,
- Not permit any alcoholic beverages, drugs, or other intoxicants or non-prescription medication on the vessel at any time.
- Assuming Watch – When a Deckhand assumes watch he is responsible for conducting a vessel status inspection and being fully acquainted with a minimum of the following:
- Towing Safety Management System;
- Cargo procedure requirements and limitations;
- Assignment of personnel duties;
- Tank capacities and locations; and,
- Status of barge transfer and valve alignment.
- Vessel Navigation – The Deckhand is responsible for providing navigation assistance as directed by the Vessel Captain, Relief Captain, or Pilot. These duties may include watch standing, lookout and communications.
- Safety and Inspections – The Deckhand will ensure that they exercise good seamanship and safe Deckhand skills. All barges are to be inspected in accordance with the Declaration of Inspection prior to any transfers
Customer Service – Our company is dedicated to quality customer service with the vessel deckhand directly involved and responsible for:
- Ensuring and promoting a positive and proactive relationship with the customer through his actions, decisions, abilities, temperament, and operational efficiency of the vessel.
- The safety of the crew, vessel, and cargo.